Saturday, July 30, 2011

the glass half full...

It's been exactly a year since I graduated from med school … It is a pleasure to end July this year with a day which is really a new beginning …
Ever since I started working, I've been concentrated on what can I bring to the patient …but something happened which let me turn to what the patient brings to me .All too often, time and events lead me, and quite a few of my colleagues, to view the patients as tireless killers   of our energy, and that for all practical purposes we must go on giving until we die, or give up this unequal struggle with nature and her diseases. This is to negate the view of patients as food not just in the sense of giving me my daily bread and butter, but also in the sense of nourishing my personality.
They do so by telling you about yourself...see, I sometimes totally into the idea that I'm nice and brilliant then there are times when I am absolutely sure that I'm clumsy and inadequate, but it takes my patients to shatter these illusions, and to show me that simply some days I'm good and some days I'm bad .Thanks to them, I never stay the same. After practicing medicine for a little less than a year now, my mind has already become occupied by ghosts of former patients, counseling me, reminding me of all the things I can not control ….
I don’t know if I will always think this way but for now I truly believe that I'm lucky to work in a profession in which experience counts more than knowledge ,and it is to boost  my experience that I've decided to turn away from learning by rote  …Its been exactly a year since I graduated and for this anniversary I have few resolutions to stick to hopefully;  read  novels , make some real friends , travel far and try to keep forever curious ,for then ,If I'm lucky I'll stand to gain what I think every doctor wish to have : a rich and compassionate personality and I will hopefully be  motivated enough to see  this tiresome and inconvenient patient  ,who challenges me now, into a lovable series of imperfections, which  reflects my own imperfections… 

No comments:

Post a Comment