Friday, July 20, 2012

Casper the friendly ghost

I've been planning to blog for so long but I guess my procrastination had beaten all my prior attempts to do so  ...not this time though .... Come see why !

If you had the chance to read my previous posts  , you might have guessed that I'm already doing my second year residency in baghdad ...
After a long struggle with the corrupted ministries in my beloved free country ,I have managed to retrieve my post in the university  last January ..
With my uni post , my internship in the attached teaching hospital , All was going super great career wise .I was physically exhausted but un proportionally euphoric ...life was pink !!
'you're the optimistic face in this miserable cancer team' my senior used to say 
Well this was true , until the beginning of June when the chief residents called for a meeting with manager of the hospital  just to tell him that of all the residents in the floor i was getting 'special treatment' from the seniors of medical department 
So another meeting was set , This time I was part of it ..I had very little to say in response to that mainly because it was  so ridiculous a claim that I could not imagine the management of the hospital would be serious about  it .... the next day It was all in writing ' undisciplined doctor who always gets away with her mistakes because of the special treatment she's getting ' ..bottom line in less than 2 working days I  was fired from my job in the hospital ...yes fired ! 

It took me awhile to grasp what was happening i mean it all seemed so untrue , simply a bad dream !   
But there was no time for any contemplation.... I had to react quickly to get my job back ... which I would've never been able to do without the support of friends and family ... 

It took me along time to come with a convincing theory of why all this had happened .. Why a resident at least eight years older than me worked so hard for more than a month to pull out such a thing ??! It's true that we're in a competitive training but that simply does not cut it ....
 I was working harder than anyone else because this is just the way it is in my culture as a woman you have to work so much harder to get the same recognition of your male counterpart ... Maybe I worked harder than I should be !! 
In the end , I was successful in reversing their decision but I guess without sufficient evidence, they already knew I would be able to do that ... A message was meant to be sent by all that and I got their message ....
I left the floor altogether , quit giving presentation and other med activities ...i even quit going to the canteen !! In  other words, I decided to be invisible....and to starve :P

No comments:

Post a Comment